Midwest Regional Controller
OVERALL: The Midwest Regional Controller position is accountable for the finance and accounting functions for the 3 offices that comprise the company's Midwest Region (Shorewood, IL, Davenport, IA and St. Louis, MO). Each office will have its own reporting requirements and some travel is expected of this position to interact with and help manage personnel and to interact with and better understand operations. Two keys to success for this position include (i) being an instructor to a staff of non-accountants and (ii) being a partner with service line managers - understanding their business and teaching P&L management to varying degrees.
This position also includes the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures in conjunction with company-wide directions
- Manage outsourced functions, as applicable
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives – including control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Direct supervision of staff consisting of the following roles - billing, collections, payables and payroll – and approximating 6-7 personnel.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that customer billings are completed timely and accurately
- Work with the billing, collections and management staffs to ensure DSOs are minimized
- Process payroll in a timely manner and ensure that the mapping of labor costs are completed accurately and in coordination with company-wide directions
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed and all reconciliations are accounted for
- Maintain the chart of accounts in conjunction with company-wide directions
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete internal financial statements
- Interact with division management and operations managers and team with them as their primary partner in understanding their financial statements: greater understanding of the operations personnel to finance, greater understanding of the financial results from finance to operations
Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Manage the process of the annual budget and forecasts
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 5-7 years of progressive accounting experience. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Primarily in an office environment with interactions with the operations managers and their personnel considered a key requirement to learning the nuances of the operations.
Based in the Chicagoland area with expectation that 1-day per week will be worked from the operations in Davenport, Iowa along with regular visits to the operations in St. Louis, Missouri (such as, 2-days per month).